My guest today is Marty Hoffman, M.D.
- Chief of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, VA Northern California Health Care System
- Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, University of California Davis
- Research Director, Western States Endurance Run
- Chief Medical Officer, Ultra Medical Team
- Serves on several editorial boards, and is Editor-in-Chief, Wilderness & Environmental Medicine
- Has published well over 100 peer reviewed research studies and 11 books or book chapters.
- He is an accomplished ultra runner himself - He’s the 2008 Grand Master (50-59 age group) National Champion, USATF 100 Mile Trail Championship, Tahoe Rim Trail
In today’s episode:
All about the history and current topics of research at Western States Endurance Runs (WSER).
Hyponatremia at WSER
Learn the answer to, "Is sodium supplementation necessary to avoid dehydration during prolonged exercise in the heat?”.
What do we know today about the long term health of ultra-endurance runners? Is ultra marathon running bad for us AND WHY IT MAY NOT EVEN MATTER?
Learn the most important take-home action items from research at WSER that you can put into practice TODAY!
Find out how you can get involved in research at WSER. http://www.wser.org/research/
AND SO MUCH MORE...