My guest today is Jason Koop
- Director of coaching for Carmichael Training Systems
- He’s training everyone from the most famous in ultra running to people in your neighborhood
- And…he’s an accomplished ultra runner himself…among many others, his finishing list includes Wasatch, Western States, Leadville, and Badwater.
In this episode we learn about
- Jason’s overall framework of prescriptions which emphasizes a progression from least event specific to most specific
- The optimal time frame to implement a full program
- Intervals to raise VO2max
- Setting pace and effort
- Total interval time of work for raising VO2max and for improving midrange performance
- Three broad phases of training and how much work/effort for workouts in those phases
- How many workouts per week?
- Factoring terrain (and elevation gain) to the workouts
- Does Koop use heart rate monitors?
- Detraining of VO2max closer to event with Koop’s approach?
- Approaches to choosing the number and spacing of races.
- Overtraining; over-fatigued/under-rested
Plus, Jason gives you four pieces of advice that you can implement TODAY to improve your training and racing!
AND SO MUCH MORE...